Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Decisions, decisions

With all of the craziness lately, I have been faced with many, many decisions. Our last intern, Veronica, used to tell me that she was amazed by the number of decisions that had to be made in our business on a daily basis. Well, with all of these recent changes, there are even more!! Over the past week, I have been faced with a whole list of them...making a decision on our new intern/employee, selecting a new phone provider (since our 1st option didn't work out), accounting/IT decisions, selecting a new embroidery vendor, and looking at fabric options for our upcoming Spring 2009 line (which is where you come in)...

I need your opinions, PLEASE!!

1) How important is 100% cotton?? Although it was extremely important to me when starting this line that we use 100% cotton fabrics, I have recently considering adding some other fabric options that offer easier care. All of our current garments are machine washable, but cotton naturally crinkles when washed, and in my opinion garments never looks as good after being washed the first time. Don't get me wrong, they are still absolutely precious, but the ruffles are just more ruffled/crinkled after being washed. I am considering a change to a blended fabric that looks exactly the same after being washed as it did before. It is a little softer to the touch and has a very slight sheen. The only problem is that it is not 100% cotton. Would this affect your purchase decision, and if so in a postive or negative way??

I have also been faced with a very difficult decision lately on how to deal with our production issues. I have come to accept that there are ALWAYS production issues in this business and this time is no exception. The only difference is that it is partially out of my control. With all of the recent hurricanes in the south, our products have been delayed in transport. Our completed items are stuck at port in Miami and have been for the past week (including our now backordered pink and fuchisa bloomers), and our fabric for our next production has been delayed going out for almost the past month! I am hoping that as Ike comes and goes this week, that we are able to get back on track and get our new production going quickly. I am always amazed at how far out I can plan to prevent issues like this, but everything is still always just a bit delayed.

On a more fun note, I want to share this adorable picture with you. The gorgeous little model is Isabelli, the daughter of our new photographer, Amanda Elkins. Amanda is an incredibly talented photographer out in CA, and has done a fabulous job on our new images for the Fall Collection! Check out our brand new Fall Fashion Show with her images on the website!

15 comments:

  1. On the cotton issue; I noticed that some of your ruffle butts have tops to match - if you went with a cotton blend for the ruffle butts I would think you would also have to go with the cotton blend for the top. Just a thought if you haven't already considered this. Also, it depends on your costumer base. Some mothers only want natural fibers next to their babies skin - but the "average" young mothers don't seem to mind if the fabric is a blend.

    I wish you clear thinking in making all the decisions. Also, may you have a very safe and comfortable delivery of your precious baby. Children are such a joy and a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely LOVE your new pics.. great JOb... super cute and professional

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, struggle with the 100% cotton issue.

    I KNOW a blend will actually wash nicer, however, most mothers want all cotton for their youngsters.

    Perhaps you can ask your stores that you sell to. Ask them about THEIR customers. That might help you decide which way to go.

    Hang in there!

    With friendship,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a hard one. I know many people like 100% cotton where others like a blend, so prevent shrinking during washing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps you could keep your best selling colors 100% cotton and add some blends in new fabrics. I think there would be a mom for each. Personally, I think most mom's ask me if it's 100% cotton so they know if they should allow for shrinkage in the ordering process.
    I did notice at market more buyers headed towards the cotton than the cotton knit. I was a bit suprised because I love them both, but favor the knits. I crazy love the knit pants and zip front hooded jacket. Makes me wish I still had little people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh! I love the video! How cute!

    About the fabric issue. To be completely true to you, if I see something cute that I absolutely LOVE, I overlook the fabric choice. I love both choices you have going right now on the samples I shot. So did the moms of the models. They are all in love with your brand! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the sweet comment so long ago. sorry. I had another baby, neglected my blog & just went on today after 6 months! : O
    Glad I came across your comment. WOW you have been busy!

    well.. I have 5 girls. I love so many fabrics. If I love the style I get it regrardless of fabric & dry clean etc.... shrinkage might be the worry if wondering about particular fabric. Im sure you put that in your label, but some people still do not read or pay attention.
    Just keep doing what you do ~ everything is adorable.

    Its fun to see what people prefer & why though. I'll keep checking back! ; )
    Best Wishes !
    Joelle XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd personally go for what is most practical, so blended material would absolutley influence my purchase decison for the positive. I like Julie's idea of having both options so you can address the demand from both kind of customers, and if having both incresases your production costs you can always have different price ranges.Let me know when you have the blended line and I'll be one of the first customers of your new line!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello! I think you should have both options. I don't really care if it's 100% cotton, or a blend. I think people who are really worried about things being all natural go with organic cotton, not 100 % cotton. I think more people ask about 100% just to know if it will shrink or not. I am all for ease of use, and as long as it is still machine washable, I think it's good. BTW- I came over from MomDot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally prefer blended fabrics that are less prone to shrinkage and come out of the dryer without needing to be ironed.

    (also, I found you from Momdot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. well I just found your shop thanks to momdot..but reminds me of the clothes from when I was younger- thanks for wonderful items

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be honest, I rarely look for 100% cotton on the labels of clothes. I think most of us are used to wearing blends and buying them for our kids anymore. If it makes it easier to wash and wear, I'd go for it. I think preserving the wear of an item is more important than the type of fabric. Hope it helps!

    Oh, and I found your site through MomDot too! You're items are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly, I just want something that is easy to take care of. I'd rather not have to iron!!

    Stopping by from MomDot!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stopping by from momdot, I have to say I never think about if clothes are 100% cotton or not when buying for my kids. But less ironing is always a plus in my book, since my husband doesn' know what a iron looks likes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amber, I don't care about the blend personally. What I do care about is the softness of the fabric after washing. I don't like things to be stiff either. I do agree that the krinkles are a pain in the neck and I for one don't like my kids clothes to look that way and I don't have time to iron children's clothes.

    ReplyDelete