Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Business decisions

My husband and I were talking the other night and I asked him if he ever imagined that the business would be where we are today. His answer (which is not surprising in the least if you know my husband), was "I thought we would be further". My mouth was hanging open, but then I realized what he really meant.

When I started this business last year, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I knew that I was super determined to make it work, and with that determination, I could figure it all out. Looking back, my naiveness was probably a very good thing, because had I known what I was about to face, I probably would have been too intimidated to take the leap. Since then, I have learned so much and come so far. I find myself blown away by what I can accomplish when I need to! The great thing is, I am not unlike any of you! I think we are all capable of so much, but it is when we are pushed beyond what we are comfortable doing, that we are able to soar.

When my husband made that comment, what he really meant was that he thought this would all be easier - that we would design a little baby bloomer, find someone to make it and sell the heck out of it. We weren't really prepared for the challenges that we have faced with the manufacturer, sourcing, sales reps, accounting, etc. When running a business, there is so much to know and always something to learn. This is part of the reason that I love it! There is not a day that goes by that I am not challenged in some way, and that means that I am growing in some way, daily.

If you are considering starting your own business or even just getting started in your own business, be prepared that it will not be all easy going. The more you are challenged, the more you're growing and the better prepared you will be to run and grow your business. Dig deep and make sure that you have that determination to get you through the tough days along with all of the fun ones.

As much as I know my determination and ambition, I never would have imagined us here today. I am so very blessed and know that I could not have done this without the most important factor, and that is faith! I will continue to focus on this business, growing and learning, and can't wait to see where we are in another year!!

2 comments:

  1. Amber,
    I am truly amazed with what you do. I feel so proud of you as a mother and business owner of the same mind set. To be honest, I wish and hope that someday I can be just like you. You have done a great job! I hope all is well with you and pray that your business will continue to grow and prosper. All the luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I am so touched by this comment...you totally made my day! I am inspired and hope to continue on this path. Your prayers are so much appreciated and I wish the very same to you!

    ReplyDelete