Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Material World

Yesterday I made my way down to the oh so glamerous world of South Beach...okay, not so glamerous for me as I walked about a million miles (slightly exagerated) through this annual fabric and trim convention. I'm still not feeling 100%, so it took a little self-motivating to get down there, but worth the trip. Although I did meet some interesting people and checked out a ton of fabric sources, I must admit that the most rewarding part of the experience is feeling like I finally am not the "freshman" anymore! It was so nice to truly realize how far I have come since my Material World visit one year ago.

A little reminiscing (which I hope gives some of you hope)...

So, last year I remember too clearly walking into the enormous room full of professionals, extremely experienced professionals. I had been on my computer for days reading and researching so I didn't seem like a complete nitwit, but I still felt very much so like I was carrying my freshman class list wandering the halls with a big sign on my back! I was so intimidated to talk to the businessmen there representing these enormous companies, but I would occasionally get myself in there to ask questions and find my way. Many people wouldn't give me the time of day, so it was a slightly rude awakening, but was a great start to my journey of much learning.

This year, I signed up for a seminar on "Sourcing for Small Businesses". This was my moment...I sat there thinking, "Wow, I know this stuff." Please do not get me wrong, I still have SO much to learn, but it was extremely rewarding to know that although many days I feel like I am pushing against a mountain, I really have been making my way up that mountain. It is just so enormous, most days I still can't see the top, but I know I am a least on my way.

I also thought to myself how helpful it would have been to have a mentor or friend in my position a year ago. It would have saved me so much headache and heartache, although I truly believe that my learning experience has given me much strength. I know, a bit cliche, but I truly mean it. It also reminded me why I try to share my experiences through this blog. Sometimes I am not the best at writing, but for those of you on my path, slightly behind or ahead, I hope we can stick together and conquer this mountain as a team. Maybe it's just me, but isn't everything more fun with you have someone to lean on when things are weighing you down, and to celebrate genuinely when you finally hit a mile marker??!

1 comment:

  1. Yea!! I'm glad the trade show and seminar gave you some positive thoughts!

    Cheers to that!

    ReplyDelete