Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Layla Grace

It is with tears filling my eyes that I write this post. This is a situation that has been in my heart for many months and I have chosen up to this point to keep it personal. It is today that I feel led to share this journey and it is with the support and permission of the people involved that I make this public.

Where to start? Back in the summer of 2008 I began working and communicating with a mom and fellow business owner Shanna. She was inspired by her precious daughter, Layla Grace to start a fun website called Baby Wears Prada. Shanna became a fan of RuffleButts and Layla could not have been cuter in her little ruffles. In May of 2009, I received an email from Shanna that would touch me deeper than I ever knew possible, by someone that I had never actually met in person. This email shared the shocking and devastating news that Layla Grace had been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer called Neuroblastoma. She went on to tell me that this is one of the hardest form of cancers to treat and came with a 30% survival rate. I just knew in my heart that Layla would beat this, she would be in that 30%!! It was then that Layla began the fight of her life.

Shanna has shared her journey in touching and inspirational posts at www.LaylaGrace.org. It is often that her writing reminds me to truly treasure every moment of motherhood. Shanna is an incredibly brave woman and it is quite evident that she has raised an amazingly strong little lady with a very fitting middle name. I can't even begin to share here the battle that Layla has been fighting for many, many months. This precious child has gone through more than any one of us could even imagine, and she is still a smiling little joy. Layla has touched more lives through her story and her smile than most of us could dream in our 30+ years. I can honestly say, she has changed not only my life, but also my daughter's, as I will not take a single moment for granted. I give Aubrey an extra hug every night because of Layla Grace. That is a gift that can not be repaid.

A few weeks back, I read the post that I never saw coming. After all of this suffering and fighting, the cancer had continued to spread. It had taken over, and Layla's fight would soon end. I was devastated, questioning everything, angry, saddened. It just didn't make sense that Layla would have to go through all of this, that Shanna and her family would have to go through all of this. Then, I quickly returned to my faith. Layla's life held more meaning in the short years that she spent here on Earth, than I can ever hope for mine. The cancer may appear to have won this battle, but it did not. Layla is victorious and more so than any of us can know at this point in time. Miracles happen every day, and Layla is still with us today, but the reality is that the doctors gave her less than a week last week. She continues to prove them wrong, maybe so she can touch just a few more thousand lives in these days. Layla will be in a glorious place with her Maker in the days to come.

The reason that I made the decision to share this story is because I need you behind us. After much prayer, we have made a personal and professional decision to get involved. Although money is probably far down the list of Shanna's concerns at the moment, I know that her family is facing costs that most of us will never know. I would like to hope that if I were in Shanna's place, that our friends and family would rally with me in support. I do not understand God's journey for Shanna or Layla, but I do know that it is His plan. I also know that it is His plan to use us to help in any way we can. I am so incredibly blessed to do what I love every day and to make a living from it. It was my commitment from day one to share the blessings of RuffleButts with those in need. I can not think of a better cause.

So, here's where you come in...I know we are all facing our own personal financial situations and not everyone is in a position to give, so we had an idea. We are going to give for you!! If you want to help, but don't have the extra cash, you can still give. Mark and I have committed our own personal amount to Layla Grace, but we are going to add $1 to that amount for every "fan" you refer to us FaceBook.com/RuffleButts through Friday, March 5th. So, you want to give $100 to Layla Grace, just send out an invitation to your 100 friends, and once they join our RuffleButts Page as a "fan" that is $100 to the pot. Want to give $500...ask your friends to send out the request to their friends...it's that easy! The money will be going directly to the bank in Layla's name, which is tied to her medical account. We will give up to $5000, in addition to our own personal commitment. We currently have 1216 fans, so keep your eyes on our page to see your generous work paying off! If you would like to give additional funds or prefer to give directly, you can go to LaylaGrace.org and click the "donate" button on the right side of the page. The FaceBook idea is a little outside-the-box, but we would like to give you the opportunity to experience the joy of giving without the financial strain.

This is the first time that I have turned to the friends and family of RuffleButts in a fundraiser for someone else, but I feel very led to do this. I hope you have read this with an open heart, and will think of Layla this week when your kids are wearing you down. Little Layla, you are in our thoughts and prayers every single day. You are a miracle in more ways than one!

17 comments:

  1. you are amazing! Rufflebutts FB has already exceeded 5000 fans!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Just WOW! God Bless you for doing this for the Marsh family!!!! You are WELL on your way, and I predict you will hit your $5,000 donation in no time!

    Blessings always,
    Kristie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started started following Layla's story last week. She has touched me so. I have been praying daily, throughout every day for her. On my way to become a Facebook Fan right now, and I will share with my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart goes out to little Layla and her family. I can not even fathom the emotion they deal with every moment of every day. Thank you for doing this for this special little girl and her family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am humbled by your generosity and the fact that in less than 2 hours, the 5000 fans were added. Thank you VERY much for helping with this precious family that has touched so many lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for Layla Grace!

    It's a wonderful thing you are doing and I just became a fan on your facebook page! I'm sending it to everyone I know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing generous thing you are doing and have done for Layla and her family. I am proud to become a fan and from now on every time I need a bay gift I will come to you. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a 6 month old little boy and reading through Layla's website has really made me realize that I need to take advantage of every moment with him. Thank you for sharing this and for what you are doing for Layla.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so want to have another baby to get these rufflebutts
    the cutest! I added Layla to my facebook and I am spreading the word!!! God bless you all I will tell my church and community about this lil princess!!xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. God Bless you and your family for doing this for little Layla!!! What a sweet little angel she is!! I am just heartbroken for her and her family...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful way to honor a precious little girl. I will make sure to give extra hugs to my girls.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Holly, Johanaa, and Ava

    ReplyDelete
  12. This kills me inside thinking about a mother having to go through this. I couldn't even imagine. I hope she keeps fighting for as long as she can. Hugs to the family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tears are streaming as I write to thank you for the heartfelt care and concern you have shown this family. I cannot imagine the pain this family is experiencing and only hope that their faith will keep them strong. Thank you for what you have done and we will pray for Layla and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the first I've heard of rufflebutts or Layla Grace, but I'm so glad my cousin sent me the fan request. What an amazing gift you are giving to this family. You are a gift from God.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for doing this for beautiful Layla Grace and her family. I have just learned about them a few days ago.

    What they are going through is unimagineable, and you are setting an example we should all follow--to give from our hearts however we can. I donated money on my own but I am going to spread the word about what you are doing, so more people learn about Layla and the Marshes, and about your generosity. Thank you again so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had seen some posts for Layla Grace, but this is the first I have read. I have been so busy with my life that I didn't take a second to read until you pointed me in that direction. As I read your posts my eyes filled up with tears and my chest tightened up. Being a new mother I couldn't even imagine what this family is going through. It makes you really think and count your blesings. Sometimes angels like Layla help us realize what's important. Life gets so busy we need to remember whats important. Extra hugs for my angel tonight too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is coming up on one year since Layla Grace became an angel...she went to Heaven on March 9, 2010. Her parents still run the Layla Grace Foundation and raise money to help other families who are battling Neuroblastoma as well as for research funding. I pray that all will keep the Marsh family & the Layla Grace Foundation in their hearts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete