Monday, March 23, 2009

Ethics

I continue to this day to be utterly amazed at the lack of ethics in business today. It seems that everyone is out for themselves. I have lost almost all trust in others. Well, that's not true, those that earn my trust, I value for life and would do anything for them, but those that give me reason to question, almost always disappoint. As I have had year-long relationships with many of our vendors and business associates, I have sadly learned that no matter how great our relationship may be, when $$ is involved, it brings out the worst in people. With that said, I will stay 150% committed to those vendors that have earned my trust as we continue to grow and will support them in every way possible.

I will continue to run this business by the golden rule, and will do everything in my power to do the right thing, but I am truly disappointed that not everyone in business works by these principles. The other sad lesson I have learned is if they are doing it to others, they are doing it to you, and vice versa. I try not to listen to gossip or negative talk, but if someone's customers and business associates do not have positive things to say about them, you should probably listen. If your vendor shares untrustworthy information with you about their other customers, they are doing it to you as well. The other biggest lesson I have learned in business, listen to your gut!!

If you are one of those people struggling to do the right thing, as it may cost you a little more, it may be a little more work, please think twice about the lasting effects of your actions. Think of who you want to be and the legacy you want to leave...is it really worth it? When you go to the grocery store and they accidentally put an item in your cart without charging you, do you let it slide? I promise, this world has a way to coming full circle...when you do the right thing, it comes back at you ten-fold.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amber - this must be the theme of the day. I just had a long conversation w/ a friend about values and reputation and money!!

    Stay true to who you are and the way you do business. It will come back to you. But I'm really sorry that you're having problems with customers, that never feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I know exactly what you are speaking of! I have been in the apartment industry for 10yrs now and can not tell you how many times we have gotten complaints and all I did as a manager was follow the law and company policies. With people that didn't pay rent, etc. And now that I am going into business for myself, it makes ethics all the much more that important.

    I have also had the situation happen just as you say where I start to walk off from the grocery cashier and notice I have a case of cokes under my basket that we both missed. While I could have kept going, I turned around and told them and paid for them.

    It is VERY sad what happens in this world. I am currently watching 20/20 What Would You Do and it shows so many scenerios about how people react to different situations. Again...VERY SAD how people react and behave.
    ~Stephanie Laissle

    ReplyDelete