Thursday, August 7, 2008

Getting the baby shopping bug...

So, usually I am entirely too busy to even think about shopping for our own little one on the way, since I am so busy working on encouraging others to shop (at RuffleButts, of course!) for their own. But, as the date is drawing near, and we've had two friends deliver early (6 weeks and 2 months!) within the past two weeks, I guess it gave me the bug. Or, as my husband likes to say...my "nesting instinct" is starting to kick in!
We took care of the registering thing a few weeks back, but haven't done any shopping other than picking up a used crib and stroller/car seat that kinda fell in our laps. The stroller and car seat pretty much came free with the crib, but I am so not in love with the fabric. So, yesterday, as I was working on some marketing for RuffleButts, I came across this company that makes the most adorable carseat covers and I just had to share them with you. The company is called Ritzy Baby, and the Owner Bridget seems like a total sweetheart! Although we are having a girl, I am usually not super over the top with the whole girly thing. I know that sounds funny, since I design a line of apparel all about the ruffles, but what I mean is that I like more the "hip girly" thing as opposed to lace and patchwork girly. Well, with this collection there is something for everyone...girly, not so girly, and everything in between. I am a little torn, since the price is about that of a new car seat, but so much cuter!

And, I need your help here...are you a mom that has some advice for a first-timer? Is there a product that you just can't live without? I would love to know! There is so much out there, and of course I have my favorites from being in the business...but have no idea where to start when it comes to the products needed for daily life. I would greatly appreciate any comments with recommendations, as I think it is time to get a shopping!!

5 comments:

  1. we just had our first and we live in a smaller home compared to most, but here are a few things we decided we wanted and needed- and told everyone else to keep the rest because we didn't have the room (a great excuse for not accumulating a lot of stuff)

    1. boppy. she slept in this for naps, it helped prop our arms up when we fed her and eventually she could lounge on it during the day to be propped up.

    2. bumbo seat. it really helped her feel independent and helped with her strength and muscle control

    3. bibs with snaps or that stretched over her head. the velcro is hard to deal with and sometimes the snaps are too. the stretchy ones you can just pull right over their head and the bib is on til you take it off! i got mine from clothdiaper.com

    4. dishwasher container. we would be lost without this! munchkin makes a good one to put all the bottle pieces, spoons now that she's started to eat baby food and pacifiers

    5. anything with lights. entertainment for hours

    6. crib music player with optional lights. we have the fisher price aquarium and she's not figured out how to turn it on and off with her foot. but the lights and moving fish kept her interested and the music kept her calm until she drifted to sleep

    that's all i can think of off the top of my head. contact me thru my site if you need more ideas! congratulations and good luck- it's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..... shopping for kids, having lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 27 month old and a 9 month old - so I've been through my share of products and baby stuff!

    I agree on the Bumbo - although they surprisingly outgrow it VERY fast. You have to be careful because they will arch their backs and swing right over the side while you're not looking!

    A sling. Different than a carrier. Releives alot of the pressure from your shoulders and distributes it over a much broader area = less back aches. My favorite? www.KangarooKorner.com I've tried at least 4 different slings. Kangaroos have amazing resale on Ebay - for good reason. Most importantly, they stretch and have a nice range of adjustabilty.

    Our wipes warmer is great, esp. for newborns.

    For our newborns we used those swaddle blankets that close by velcro - newborns love to be swaddled. I think they're by Kiddopatomus.

    Our video monitor - priceless.

    Plenty of thin blankets for covering the carseat when she falls asleep and you're transferring her. Helps to keep the light out of her face, and keep her asleep. I also use them for feeding cause they always drool milk down their neck if your bottle feeding. And, I use them when I go to the frozen section of the grocery store - it's cold there!

    Always bring plenty of toys with you when you go out! Oh.. and a change of clothes too :) Oh, and always keep extra diapers in your car. I can't tell you how many times I wished I'd had some extras in the car.

    Okay, I'll stop. You'll find your own favorite things too :)

    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked having a moby wrap. My son slept on me for hours and I was able to get lots of work done around the house.

    I agree with the bobby.

    You might want to get a swing and/or a bouncer. If you can find them 2nd hand do that because sometimes babies don't like either of these items and it becomes a waste of money.

    I really like using the playmat I have baby luvs and it provides entertainment from newborn up until the first year.

    I also recommend a co-sleeper. I used the arm's reach co-sleeper and it was wonderful. The baby was in "arm's reach" but not sleeping in the bed with me. Although I have to admit he did sleep with me quite frequently.

    That is all I can think of now. I also wrote a very funny guest post titled "Words of wisdom from one new mom to another" you can check it out here http://tiny.cc/LGzV3

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, you guys are awesome!! I ask for advice and you take the time out of your day to give me an entire list...you rock!! I now feel much more confident in my shopping list, but I know, as we all do, I will figure it out as I go! It's those small suggestions, like dishwasher containters and thin blankets that I know will make life a lot easier. So, thanks again to you all!

    ReplyDelete