Friday, February 8, 2008

Spotlight

So, when you start a business, you can never really imagine all of the things that will make up your day. When someone asks me my role or title at the business, of course I have the "glamorous" official title of Owner and Founder, but what I really should say is Sales Rep, Director of Operations, Customer Service, Accountant, Janitor, Stock-girl...the list could go on forever. This week was the usual - packing orders, going through our inventory from the manufacturing debacle, meeting with new Patternmakers & Sample-makers, researching fabric, but there was a little twist...this week I was in the spot-light more than ever. I have said before that I am a little uncomfortable in this position, but I must admit that it was slightly invigorating to be so outside of my comfort zone.

On Wednesday, I spoke in front of a group of business students at Barry University about my RuffleButts experience. I wanted students to hear the real-life story of entrepreneurship - the good, the bad and the ugly. I love the "Big Idea" show, but so often I feel like these business owners share the Cinderella side of their story and leave out the "I almost jumped off the bridge" beginnings. I am still very new at this whole thing, but I wanted them to know that if they are willing to work hard enough and dream big enough, that they can do anything. Okay, I am starting to feel a little corny, but really, I mean this from the bottom of my heart. I also must say that I was extremely impressed with the students at this college. Embarassingly enough, I don't remember being such an attentive, polite invidual back in my college days...hopefully I was. I usually don't enjoy public speaking in the least, but I can honestly say that I had a very nice time.

Yesterday, I was seriously in the "spotlight" - about 10 of them literally, on the set of "Focus on South Florida" down at the CBS studios in Miami. I must say that since moving to Fort Lauderdale, I really hadn't set into one news station, but I am now the biggest fan of CBS4! This is not just because this station has supported me and my dream (although that is definitely major points!!) but also because I honestly have not met nicer people, from the Reporters to the Camera guys, to the Production guys who brought it all together! Of course, as I wrote last week, Jade Alexander, the reporter who came out to interview us, was just such a doll, as was the Camera Man that shot the spot. Jade was so sweet and supportive, I was blown away. Yesterday, I met Erika von Tiehl, as she invited me to be a part of the "Focus on South Florida" show set to air this Sunday. I don't know what I really expected from people in the news business, but I have to say that I was just so touched by the sincerity of these two women. Erika is obviously young and ambitious, but she also seems to be such a down-to-earth, genuine person. These are definitely two deservingly successful women that I will watch loyally from now on.

If you live here in South Florida, tune in this Sunday to "Focus on South Florida" on My33 in Miami at 2:30pm or on The CW in West Palm Beach at 7:00am .

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! I am very happy for you!! You have done such hard work to be standing where you are now!! Just keep it up and this will go soooooo far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Congratulations! I know what you mean when you say we are owner, sales rep, etc. I am figuring out how to wear all my "Hats"!

    ReplyDelete