Friday, March 14, 2008

Roller coaster

If you read this blog regularly, you are probably well used to my roller coater of emotions. This business has really forced me to dig deep, uncovering much of myself that I didn't know (some parts of which I preferred this way!!). I never knew I could be so unstable...one day thrilled with optimism and excitement, the next just totally overwhelmed! I always try to tell myself that I can handle this, but some days it is just so much! Okay, I'm done whining, I think these 12 hour days are just starting to get to me...on to the update.

So, over the past week, I have had to send numerous emails to customers informing them of product back-orders. I have tried to post these back-orders on the website, but it can be a bit confusing with our multiple fabric options. I am STILL struggling with our past manufacturer on replacing all of the damaged and low-quality goods that were shipped to us months ago. I refuse to send poor quality items to my customers and am trying desperately to get in high-quality replacements to send out. I am so happy to say that our sales have been better than expected for our very first season, which is why it is killing me to not have products to send out when we receive an order.

I have spent so much time over the past few months trying to find a good manufacturer that is high-quality, dependable and ethical...doesn't seem to be too much to ask for, does it??? Well, this has proven to be my biggest challenge to date with this company. We are now working with multiple manufacturers to find the best fit and to reduce any risk of repeating the same mistake twice. We are finally expecting delivery of some small replacement orders early next week, which is a step in the right direction. If these come back to our quality standards, hopefully we will be able to get caught up in time for our upcoming Press in April!

So, one step at a time...one loop, after hill, after climb. For those of you out there that ask me what it's like to own my own business - my answer is that it is one heck of a roller coaster ride! I must say I wasn't a big roller coaster fan before this, but I feel myself growing leaps and bounds!

3 comments:

  1. I know this manufacture thing is a killer, but This is the only complaint that I see. You have a sales team, customers, press, and God standing behind you and THIS too will be overcome soon. -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This outfit looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand a post titled Roller Coaster when written about the ups and downs of starting a business. I guess we just put one foot in front of the other whether we feel energized or petrified! You can read about my journey at www.uptopar.typepad.com.

    ReplyDelete