Wednesday, July 28, 2010

On your journey

It is crazy to think that I am more than three years along my RuffleButts journey! It seems like yesterday that I sat in our little South Florida condo searching endlessly for information on apparal, manufacturers, marketing, entrepreneurship. I knew my life was about to change, but I really had no idea to what extent. To be honest, I was a bit lost, and completely overwhelmed. It is now three years later that I realize that the journey never really ends, it just changes paths.

I often think back to those early days, as I questioned my abilities, my ideas, my strength. Now, three years later, I now know I am tough as nails, and some ideas are good, others could be better. I've learned that I am not perfect, but I have a big heart and can do more than I ever imagined possible. I've learned that I have failed many times in this process and am sure to do it again and again, but I will get back up and still move forward with every bit the determination, morals and optimism. I often try not to get jaded by the industry. This truly is not saying anything negative about the children's apparel industry, as I often felt the same way about real estate. Once you are in a certain industry for a while, it's becomes easy to stay in the box, to watch what others are doing. In the beginning, I was so naive, I didn't have a clue what others were doing. I didn't know about trends, or trade shows, or safe designs. I just made what I liked, at a quality level I was proud of, and sold to anyone who appreciated my creations. I try to keep that mindset, to do things differently, to keep the fundamentals important...our team, our ethics, our big dreams, and the box with no walls.

If you are in the beginning stages of anything, or even 3 years on your own journey, don't forget that you are not alone. We all faces times of challenge, of feeling totally in over our heads. Don't get stuck looking at everyone else.

It has been recently that we have had numerous companies copy our designs. And when I say copy our designs, I don't mean similar colors, or similar bloomers, I mean literally copying the designs. At first, I had my panties in wad, less about them copying, but more about taking with no regard, what I have devoted endless hours to creating. It was then I realized that these companies are truly at a loss. If they are spending their time watching what we are doing, they will never be ahead, always tailing behind. This is big picture here, I'm not just talking about in designs, I mean in life. If you are comparing your mothering abilities to your neighbor, your style to your best friend, your financials to your sister-in-law...you will never be good enough, for yourself. If you copying other companies instead of following your own dream, you will never truly succeed, and you certainly can't ever be proud. I, as well as most in the industry, take inspiration from many places, some being other designs that we've seen along the way, but that is a whole different story. Regardless, I received a piece of advise from a pilot recently that is quite applicable...he told me that all good pilots focus on the end of the runway. They can't be bothered by any distractions along the way or it could cause them to make major mistakes.

So, where ever you are along your journey, heed his advice...focus in the distance, on your destination and you will stay on track. Don't let yourself feel smaller than others, as I guarantee they were at this point at one time as well. Always hold yourself (and your business if you are an entrepreneur) to high standards and don't waiver on the things that are truly important, no matter what the cost. We have a quote on the wall of our office here at RuffleButts:

"Thing BIG, be honorable, and always give more than expected"

11 comments:

  1. In awe. What a great post. I'm also on just the tip of beginning to launch my little sewing business of one into a BUSINESS of big proportions and I really found this to be inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post! your words are inspiring and motivating. This is how I feel about my new photography business...I am just starting out and I am experiencing those feelings. Thank you for sharing. If you don't mind I'd love to share this post with my people =)

    You are amazing! I just ordered a ruffle butt bloomer for my daughter kayla this week. It is going to go perfect with her birthday outfit =) we will send you a picture! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever read!I would love to share this on my blog on Tuesday(that's when i share things form other blogs),as well,as post this in the etsy forums.I think some people there could use this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such an inspiring and motivating post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber! I'm so glad I found you. Seriously can't get enough of these ruffles! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I was so excited to get a comment from the Owner of Ruffled Butts. hehe. Highlight of my day ;) I immediately found your blog and store. OMG, those ruffled tights!!! Uh, my husband is going to kill me I just know it. Little girls are so fun to dress. lol. Girl, you're gonna get me in trouble :) Great to be connected! Can't wait to pass on your websites to all my girlfriends. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this. I've had a wonderful item that I created and tweaked and over the last 5 years. Everything you wrote is exactly how I've been feeling. I have the utmost respect for you and what you've accomplished and all that you share about your experiences. My husband, family, friends and even strangers who see my product all think it awesome, but I am constantly second guessing myself and the task seems so daunting. I hate to bug you but if possible, could you please share with me any insight or referrals you have. My product is made of fabric and it's not apparel, but is for babies. I have called some manufacturers and they all seem turned off when they find out I'm new to all of this. Any advice would be much appreciated. God Bless and much continued success. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, guess I should be alittle more specific. I read your blog and it's been very helpful. More then anything I'm wondering if you made your logo/trademark yourself and how did you go about finding packaging? Thanks again in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kimberlee,

    Thanks for your comments. Believe me, we were all there at one point. As for the newbie thing, I am a big fan of "faking it till you make it" with manufacturers. They don't really need to know you're new at this. Come across as confident as you can, and this will rub off on them. And, if they shy away from your lack of experience, you don't want to work with them anyway. You need to work with someone that is ready to grow with you.

    As for the logo, I would HIGHLY recommend hiring a graphic designer to design this. It needs to be unique and it absolutely has to have the ability to copyright.

    On the packaging, it really depends on your product here. For us, the packaging is minimal and/or retailer driven. Some of our retailers dictate how we package our goods, but overall apparel is pretty simple. On a larger product, I would recommend 1st asking your manufacture if this is something that they outsource. It is sometimes easiest to allow them to use their contacts. Otherwise, I would research packaging suppliers in the same area as your manufacturer, so you can at least coordinate the two.

    Hope that helps!! I wish you all the success in the world =)

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much Amber! You are a sweetheart. Ok...one more thing, are tradeshows worth the investment. I was looking at attending the ABC show in Vegas next Oct. Also, did you start getting exposure for your product by going door to door of boutiques or did you just start with your website? Ok, I'm done....I feel bad bugging you to death! Once I get the provisional patent and put up my website I'll be sure to send you a link. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I am so lost at the moment and really have no idea where to start with all my ideas. I am the owner of a parenting website in South Africa and am looking to branch out. I have had all the logo's designed, must now just get going with the manufacturing but have no idea where to start!

    Will keep reading your blog for inspiration. :-)

    By the way, I tried contacting you via the website to inquire about your affiliate program, but it did not want to send. Any other way I can contact you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I have read your blog from it's very beginning, and certainly since we started our line. As I ready through the comments I realize that you are constantly being ask for advise; I know you have to get tired, but I'm going to add my question to the many. I remember reading that you participated in the Boom Boom Room, and I would like to know if you think it was worth the time and expense. We're small and struggling along, but I would hate to make a wrong decision not to attend.

    Thank you,
    Patricia Barnett

    ReplyDelete