Thursday, January 22, 2009

Confession

Okay, I know I'm not the only mom thinking these thoughts...and I always promised to be 100% honest on this blog. So, today, I caught myself having this mental conversation - "If I have a mental breakdown, what will happen? So, they put me in the hospital. Well, when I had Aubrey, it wasn't so bad to be in a place where they bring you meals three times a day, wait on you hand and foot, and won't allow you to work. It would be like a forced vacation, with a really good excuse." Then I realized that I would be a little disappointed if it took a mental breakdown to force me to use good judgement in balancing my life, and a vacation would probably be cheaper!! So then I thought, "Okay, Amber, you are going to be a responsible business owner and mother, and figure out a way."

So, now that I am past the internal conversation (which probably leads many of you to believe that I am closer to that mental breakdown than I actually know), I have made the commitment to myself to try to figure this out. I need help!! I know that moms always have a long to-do list, but it is quite discouraging when days keep passing as the list just grows longer and longer. How do you do it??? Okay, I will find a way. I will find a way!

So, that is my honest sharing for the day. I absolutely love being a mom, and an entrepreneur, but wow, this is one crazy gig!!

And here is Aubrey's most recent pic...she is growing up so fast already =)

5 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I just had my third baby and sometimes I do not know where the days go! I am a list person and every morning I make a list even if it is things I know will get done I still feel like I have accomplished so much more when I see those items highlighted off the list at night....I also add 3-4 'main' things that I want to accomplish....that does not always get done (accomplishing) but at least I know that I need to move that to the next day and then add another one or two to that day. I also have my own business so it is sometimes difficult to prioritize what gets done and when!
    The one thing I know is that kids grow up way too fast and they are the most important thing and you and your business will survive, but always put your kids first!
    I love your product, website, and reading your blog.....you have done an amazing job! If I would have had a 'ruffle butt' I would have been ordering some stuff!

    Good Luck!
    Angel Taylor
    Angelina's Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, that is the cutest pic of Aubrey. I hope you don't mind me giving you advice...I have 4 kids so I know of what I speak (I need to write a book on this actually). In order to balance you really need to be super organized and really really prioritize the things that are important on your list. I have several lists going at one time. The short term list (next day things). The medium term list (things I would like to get done in a month or two) and then the long term list (goals for the year). You need to get all the "junk" out of the way such as things that don't give you any value. It is definitely a challenge which is why motherhood is one tough job but you are not alone and it's ok every once in a while to ask for help or bring in a sitter who can help out. No one expects us to handle it all 24/7 in perfect fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber, I am sorry. I called you Amy. I was just sending an email to my friend Amy so that was why I got confused. See what happens at 9:00 at night. Anyway my apologies.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey amber!
    one thing that i've found that works for me is similar to the other ladies. i make a list of things that MUST be done by the end of the day. i then plot out the allotted time i need to finish those tasks on my calendar and block them off. i set an alarm (i use the calendar on my phone since my cell is always with me and will beep when my "time" is up.
    (here is an example http://tinyurl.com/clruyt)
    on this one i had the full day filled up because i didn't have my little one at home, but this really helped me focus on getting done what i needed to do in the time i set aside for it. hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber, welcome to the humbling but privelaged world of motherhood! We have certainly all had those days where we wonder how we can get it all done, and if we are doing it right. Take a deep breath, look at your beautiful little angel and remember she is #1on that list. The days that you can only handle that much are the days you should feel most accomplished -there is nothing greater in this world that you will do besides care for the angel that was sent to you from above. Rufflebutts is a tremendous success because of the passion that stems from your own happiness. Your happiness will remain constant as long as you know inside that your little one is peaceful, protected and loved. Take a deep breath and honor yourself! Congratulations & Warmest Regards, Loran

    ReplyDelete