Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Never really stops

It is amazing how this business just never stops! On a recent Oprah episode, as she was interviewing the Olson twins, Oprah made a comment that was oh so true...she was saying how the magazine business and the fashion business are similar in the way that your work never really stops. With the tv show, Oprah was saying that she gets to take a break, step away between seasons, but with the magazine, as one issue is closing, they are already working on the next. I never realized this about the fashion industry until I immersed myself in this business. Just as I come to peace with one collection and get it launched on the website, we are off to work on the next!

As Emily mentioned last week, we have recently been working on our upcoming Fall 2009 Collection, and I am super excited to see it come together. Emily is a talented addition to the team, and it is very fun to see our creative ideas bloom into frilly little creations for your little angels!

I know with any business, it is sometimes easy to get caught up in the daily tasks, but I am really trying to focus on the longer journey. Sometimes it is very good for your business to take a step back, draw out a plan going months down the road, and figure out where you are headed. Where do you want to be in 3 months, 6 months, 1 year? Are you working with the people that can get you there? My father, who is a much more experienced entrepreneur, gave me a very good piece of advice when I started this business...he told me that every ship needs a captain that is looking in the distance to steer the ship and as the CEO this must be your role. If you are just paddling along with no ultimate destination, the storms will be much more difficult to navigate.

If you haven't done this lately, sit down and write out your goals for the upcoming year...business, personal, sales, marketing, your team, your family, etc. Make sure you are headed in the right direction and draw out your plan to get there. This doesn't have to be exact, but make sure you are the captain of your own ship...it is your ultimate destiny and set your sights high!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I have been soo overwhelmed with the whole process of starting my girl's clothing line. It really is constant work. I started working on my sketches for Holiday '09 and my husband thought I was nuts;) I don't even have my 1st collection out yet but know that time moves fast and I need to be ready. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete