Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Burn the boats

In recent months, I have spent time reading about and watching other people who have achieved 'success' in their lives. By success, I don't necessarily mean wealth, but more that true calling, purpose-filled life that I strive for. Obviously Oprah is at the top of this list for me, and she has impacted my life in major ways, including her contribution to my driving desire to start RuffleButts. It was a simple show about other entrepreneurs that lit my fire. Their excitement and passion pretty much jumped through the TV at me and said "you can do this"! Since then, Oprah has weaved in and out of my story in a few life-changing ways. She always seems to provide the positive influence that I need at the moment, which brings me to her recent interview with Tony Robbins. Tony made a statement that just resonated with me in every way. I'll let you watch for yourself the 1.5 minute video...


Tony Robbins on the One Word That Could Be Holding You Back
OWN president Sheri Salata took Tony Robbins' seminar with Oprah. Watch as Sheri and Oprah reveal one of their favorite lessons from the day.

This statement hits home with me in so many ways. My team is probably sick and tired of hearing me preach about commitment, but it is of the utmost important to me. As a business leader and entrepreneur, I feel that commitment is just a simple requirement. You're either in or you're out. I simply don't have the time to have anyone in our RuffleButt family that is not committed. To be honest, you really can't survive in a small entrepreneurial company if you are not. There is no wavering as a business leader. My team relies on me, trusts in me to make decisions every day. They trust in me to be committed to this journey, to this climb, and I truly am. For me, the commitment to RuffleButts is relatively easy. It is the other aspects of my life where this proves to be more challenging.

I've always been a runner. One that gets bored easily and moves onto the next thing. If I didn't like my school, I went to a different one. If I didn't like my job, I went and found a new one. What I gathered from this simple statement is that if I am going to do something, I must do it all the way. No back-up plan, no negative thoughts taking away my time and energy from the goal at hand. If I'm gonna conquer, I gotta burn the freakin boats. 

I'm not sure how this statement may apply to your life at this moment, but I have a feeling that it does in one way or another. If nothing else, I hope it makes you think, pushes you to grow. I know it did for me.

2 comments:

  1. Your such an inspiration...I've followed your story since we first met at the book club in Ft. Lauderdale. You inspired me to launch my own website and a successful 2 years later...I thank you for motivating me to get off my butt and just do it! Congrats on the success of your business and I look forward to reading many more blog entries. Xoxo.-Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post could not have come at a more perfect time. I have been in a business partnership with my best & dearest friend for 6yrs. Just this past week I left. It was a hard decision because I loved the company we built. I loved coming into work every day. Over time my partner lost her drive and commitment. I dont have time for laziness and excuses. I believe in myself and my work. I will continue this venture but on my own and follow the vision Ive always held in my heart. I didnt know it at the time but I burned my first boat. And let me tell you I feel like a new girl! Thank you & I wish you continued success- Peace & love

    ReplyDelete