Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tips for Running a Successful Company

In a magazine interview, I was recently asked for my top 10 tips for running a successful company. At first, I almost found it a little humorous...I am the one always reading the blogs and articles from super successful entrepreneurs (like Mark Cuban's 12 Rules for Startups or Tony Hsieh on Entrepreneur.com) for their tips. Why would anyone want to hear my advice?! Then, to give myself a little more credit, I had one of those crazy realizations that I have earned this spot. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly no Mark Cuban, but I have technically built a multi-million dollar business. Who would have known?! I'm just a little girl from Kentucky. I didn't go to Harvard, I didn't even take my SATs! I'm just one stubborn, passionate, blessed, hard-working little momma, but it certainly took some lessons to get here. So, with that said, here are my top ten tips:

  1.  If at any point you find yourself following another company and imitating their decisions, it is time to re-evaluate your business plan. In my eyes, it’s like a ship following behind Christopher Columbus. That’s no way to make history!

  2. Surround yourself with people that support your vision. Entrepreneurship is a lifestyle and is certainly different from working at your average corporation. Your team must be committed to the climb and excited about the destination.

  3.  Be prepared for an emotional roller coaster. It ain’t easy!

  4. Think outside the box. Sounds cliché, but in today’s ever-changing environment, it is necessary to be innovative, creative, and open-minded.

  5. Do more with less. Spend wisely.

  6. Treat your customers and your team like you wish other businesses and previous bosses would have treated you.

  7.  Don’t do it unless you love it. Running a successful company requires massive amounts of time, sacrifice, blood, sweat, and tears. In my opinion, in order to achieve true success, passion is a requirement.

  8. Embrace change and do things differently. Don’t look to the industry to tell you what to do, show the industry what they should be doing.

  9.  Dream big. Without dreams, you have no direction.

  10. Run your business with humbleness and gratitude. Pay it forward, share your blessings, and never take success for granted.




No comments:

Post a Comment