Thursday, January 12, 2012

The road to fulfillment

Over the past few weeks, I have been in interview mode, trying to find the next member of our team. I have spoken to many people, some young, some more experienced, some single, some married with children. Over the years, I have found one recurring theme...people on the search for career fulfillment. This is one search that I can certainly relate to, and it has been for me, one of the most important and valuable discoveries of my life. It was the discovery of passion. Passion for what I do daily. Without that passion, I would be one over-worked, under-paid, lost woman. I know how incredibly blessed I am to have discovered my passion at an early age (late twenties), and I am even more blessed that I am able to aid others in the discovery of their own passion.

So, if you are still on your own journey of discovery, this is my note to you...with determination, an open-mind, LOTS of hard work, and most importantly faith, you will find your fit. Sometimes it takes patience, other times it takes intolerance. I knew in my heart for years, that I was not in my right place. I witnessed business is ways that I knew were not only unfulfilling, but also unethical. I listened as my co-workers complained about their jobs, and sadly, I often participated.

I have shared this story in the past, but it is honestly, one of the turning points in my life. I remember vividly sitting in my car, before going into work, making a "deal" with God. "Just give me the idea, and I will give you everything I've got. I'll bust my butt, work 7 days a week. I'll inspire others and pay it all forward. Just lead me to my passion." I knew it was time to make a change, I just wasn't sure what that change was supposed to be. It was with this faith, that I quit my job, and spent three months in search of my passion.

That was December of 2006. In March of 2007 RuffleButts was trademarked and I was set on my journey. I'm not going to say it has been easy, it hasn't. I had NO idea what I was about to get myself into, but I count my blessings daily that I took that leap of faith. I went through some rough times....even ended up on the couch of a therapist at one point. But, I survived, or should I say, I'm surviving! Every day is pure craziness around here, and I wouldn't trade a bit of it for anything.

I spoke with a woman today that took the step of meeting with a life coach. To some, this may sound corny, I think it's genius. Your own private teacher to help you choose the path that leads to passion, what a great idea! This journey is not necessarily one for career, it is one of fulfillment. This may be a role as a stay-at-home mom, or a life as a pastor. It is finding your right fit, fulfillment for your life. For you, it may require a life coach, or maybe a life-changing book. For me, it was a chat with God. No matter what, I think it requires a conscious decision. The decision of discovery, of commitment, and ultimately of fulfillment.


1 comment:

  1. Amber..what made you decide NOT to license your products and to keep the company ownership to yourself?

    ReplyDelete