Thursday, July 2, 2009

Life of an Entrepreneur

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...we are a unique breed. Entrepreneurs are just different, often misunderstood. I knew from a very young age that I would one day become an entrepreneur. When I was a teenager and adults would ask me the "what do you want to be when you grow up" question, I always answered that I wanted to start my own business. They would always chuckle with that "Oh you little child, of course you want to own your own business...good luck with that" kind of thing. No one really took me seriously, but probably because when they asked me "what kind of business", I never really knew. It may have sounded flighty or naive to them then, but I am now learning that is the foundation of an entrepreneur.

You don't have to know exactly what business you want to start, you just have to have that little fire inside that says you want to take a risk; you want to do it on your own; you want to plant a seed and watch it grow. More than that, it means that you are willing to take on the instability, the chaos, the long hours, the ability to think ahead of everyone else, the discipline to pass on the gatherings when all of your friends are having fun and you are at the office. You don't have to have the big idea from day one, but you have to be willing to work hard enough to achieve it.

As an entrepreneurial mom, I feel like this adds an extra layer. There aren't a lot of other moms out there who understand where I am coming from. Other mommy friends are hard to come by because I don't have any spare time to invest. I hardly even have time to respond to emails. From the other side, I'm sure it comes across as selfish, but I truly have to choose between personal emails and business emails during the day. My days are so jam packed and now that Aubrey is my top priority, I have to let some other things slide. The good news is that I have finally hired an Assistant, so hopefully that will help me on this never-ending journey towards balance.

So, I have learned in life, that I will never make everyone happy, but for me, this is happiness. I am working super hard at the moment to try to build something for the future. Mark and I are paying the price, working 10-12 hours a day, weekends, and then some to build a life for our daughter. I hope that putting in the extra hours now, while she is young will enable us to spend more quality time with her as she gets a little older. I think I was just born with that fire. I am not satisfied any other way. I just count my blessings that I have found the perfect husband to join me on that journey, and a few incredible friends who support and understand.

7 comments:

  1. Great story, I agree not everyone understand entrepreneurs and what it takes to be one. We are a special breed, :) and you really have to want it and it is a continuous process, but a great one at that.

    I love reading stories and seeing myself as well, then you know you are not alone :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you girl:0) It's people like you that empower other women to reach for their dreams. I salute you! I too know what hard work and perserverance means when you are trying to make a name for yourself and a legacy for your children. I also have a husband that is my biggest supporter. What would we do without them? God will continue to bless and that journey towards balance you were speaking of...well that is one that we all struggle with. From one rare breed to another!! Thanks, Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber it looks like I missed out on an opportunity. I was trying so hard to find something else so I could give you more hours and it happened too late. If you don't have time to email me back don't worry about it, you are a very busy woman. Best of luck with your great product. Let me know if you ever need more help.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being an entrepreneur is hard but so rewarding. You really have to believe in yourself and your brand/product, and only a few people have what it takes. I believe putting in the long hours will pay of big in the end. My blog is growing every day and I am getting such great support and input from other moms. I love what I am doing, being a resource for other moms, sharing my life, and supplying the occasional laugh :)

    Best,
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber... I hear you hard and clear... being an entrepeneur is hard and time consuming and exciting and worthwhile! being an entrepreneur mom is a different story, and if people have not been there they simply don't get it. When I started my business I made it clear to my self that my girls where my number one priority, and after that the business and after that the rest (my hubby falls in the girls category, but is often lost in the rush of days :))
    Anyways is sooo hard for other people to understand, specially for other moms. They dont get why I cant go for coffee every day, or du lunch while the girls are in preschool... is hard. But at the end I know it will pay off. My mom always told me, and still tells me... what you plant right now.. all the hard work, all the sweat all the tears, that is what will become your future harvest filled with positive wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get it--finding balance and prioritizing is especially tough as a working mom. I would just like to encourage you to live in the now--planning for the future, financially and otherwise, is no doubt, smart, responsible, and necessary...but we never get those baby days back. As my oldest child gets ready to enter middle school this coming fall, I am reminded how very quickly he has grown, and how grateful I am to have given up some material comforts and income to have spent so much time with him as a baby and young child. I did choose to work part-time because I believe happy mama=happy child, but I'll never regret making him (and now my other children) my first priority after my marriage. You are an inspiration as a hard-working entepreneur, I believe you will find your perfect balance. All the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God Bless you and I am right there with you!

    ReplyDelete