Monday, February 25, 2008

No Cinderella Story

I like to consider myself a pretty optimistic, positive person. I try to stay strong in my faith and focused on the wonderful things in my life. With that said, I'm still human, and I think we all face challenges at times. Since childhood, I have always found myself putting on the happy face when those times come, mainly to avoid bringing others down with me. I have found it challenging to share my true emotions on this blog. I love to share the positive and happy times through this entrepreneurial experience, but it is not near as much fun to share the challenging times. Well, I always pride myself on honesty, so here I go...

This has been a bit of a rough weekend for me. It is now 7:30am on Monday morning - I am here at the office - have been since about 6:15am. I made the decision to take the weekend off, completely off, not coming in to the office once. I did sneak and check my Blackberry every couple of hours, but you other business owners understand me here, that it is less stressful to know that everything is still under control than to avoid checking email all weekend. You would think that this would have contributed to a nice weekend, but I found myself in a bit of a slump. I am just a little burned out. I am thrilled to be able to pursue a dream, and I want so badly for this to be successful, but some days it gets a little tough emotionally.

On top of this slight burnout, I had a rough weekend personally. I try so hard to separate myself, but when you make the decision to start your own business, you have to realize that everything begins to blur together. Life is business, business is your life, and everything else just gets mixed in. When I am struggling on a personal level, this sometimes bleeds into the business and vice-versa.

I share this personal struggle not for sympathy or even for venting purposes, but mostly to share the true story of my business venture. When I am talking to students or others dreaming of pursuing a business, I try to share my honest and open story. It is not a Cinderella story and far from a fairy tale most days, but I am still incredibly grateful that I have this opportunity. I am also so very touched by the support and encouragement that I receive from you.

4 comments:

  1. Hey sista - it never is, and I know. Had I blogged the first three years of business it would have been posts - tears - and swear words. Let me know if you need a shoulder to cry on - I get it! Take care, and this too shall pass. I found walking outside to help, and I listen to bad 70's music - like the Brady Bunch!

    Jamie R Lentzner
    www.jpd.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you! I think it is great that you share yuor story here, I know I admire you for taking the initiative and going for it!

    ((HUGS))
    Becki
    BlogMommas.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I think that this is heaven sent because it is 4am and I am up just browsing the internet and going through this exact same thing! I just started my business is September of 2007 and it has been tough! I have even strained relationships and lost ppl that I thought were my friends over this! I literally was in tears reading your blog...just knowing that I really am not the only one!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarissa,

    Thanks so much for your comment! I promise...you are so not the only one! I am so glad to "meet" you and I wish you all of the best with your business. I can not tell you how blessed I am to have the support of other fabulous women and business owners as you will read here on this blog. We all face challenges, and they are so much easier to get through, when we do it together =) "God will not take you to it if he can't get you through it." I promise there is light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete