Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Social Networking

So, I have given Mark yet another 'official title', 'Director of RuffleButts Social Networking'. When running a business, there are so many factors that people really don't realize...you have designing, researching, selling, accounting, marketing, of course the daily tasks like fulfillment and customer service, and now you have social networking. I guess this really falls under marketing, but since I graduated with a degree in marketing more than 9 years ago now, it does not fall in my realm of expertise.

I know, I have to stay ahead of the game, and it does make sense for the most part, but with everything I have crammed into my short days, including the top priority of my little angel, I just couldn't grasp the concept of Facebook or Twitter on a daily basis. When I started RuffleButts, we had a MySpace page, as that seemed to be a decent way to spread the word, but as we quickly learned, our customers were more about Facebook. So, on we went to learn this new marketing tool. Honestly, it has been kind of fun, making new friends, and staying in touch with a few old ones, but it is now just one more place where I am a horrible friend =) I am too busy to get on there daily, so I don't respond promptly and I post a 'status update' about once a month. So, when we realized that we really need to utilize Twitter as well, Mark was up to the task. This is one of the things that I love about him...when he decides to take on a project, he does it right. He has designed our page, done the research, does our daily 'tweets' and I definitely see the benefit to the company. I have a hard time getting into it, but anything that helps our customers and our business is a win-win in my mind!

So, if you are toying around with the idea, here are a few good places to start:
- Tips for Beginners at www.TwitTip.com
- Tubby Bundle's helpful explanation of Twitter
- Duct Tape Marketing Blog - this is an awesome resource for small business marketing, including info on how to utilize Twitter and Facebook in your marketing

If you are already on Twitter, Mark has found the application TweetDeck, to be very helpful. This allows you to stay organized and really maximize Twitter for your business.

And, be sure to join us...

Me on Facebook
The RuffleButts page on Facebook (become a 'fan')

No comments:

Post a Comment